Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Science Camp :D

Hey everyone! This week I have been attending a Science Spectrum summer camp over at my high school (which I will be attending in August :D). On Monday, our camp was divided into 6 groups, and each group visited the 6 Science stations at different times. We visited 3 stations on Monday, and we visited the remaining 3 stations yesterday. Here are the stations in the order in which I visited them. :)

Monday:
  1. Robotics
  2. Environmental Science
  3. Lunch (lol)
  4. Forensics
Tuesday:
  1. Electronics
  2. Chemistry
  3. Lunch (again XD... this time we had turkey subs instead of pizza. :P)
  4. Engineering
At the end of the day on Tuesday, we had to rank each of the stations we visited from 1 to 6 (1 being most interested and 6 being least interested). Here is a list of the stations in the order in which I ranked them. :P
  1. Engineering
  2. Electronics
  3. Chemistry
  4. Environmental Science
  5. Forensics
  6. Robotics
Sorry, but "Lunch" didn't count as one of the stations we could rank... lol. :P

I hated putting 6 next to Robotics, for I loved programming our robot once it was built, but I bet I would have given it a higher ranking if searching for pieces for our robot didn't feel like searching for needles in haystacks (let's just say we didn't sort the pieces before we searched for them...).

After Day 2 of the camp concluded, our Magnet coordinator divided us into 6 "Focus Groups," which were the groups that would spend the whole day on Wednesday and Thursday at a particular event (usually one of the top 2 stations on our ranking sheet).

Sure enough, I walked in to my high school's Magnet building this morning to discover Electronics on my name tag. :P

After the students attending the camp had gathered in one of the classrooms this morning, our Magnet coordinator led the Electronics group down to a laboratory I had never seen before nor known existed at my high school.

Our instructor, Mr. George, showed us how to use a soldering iron to attach different parts of circuits to circuit boards. He also taught us that solder was NOT spelled like "sotter" or "sodder." :P

Even though I ended up breathing in a bunch of rosin smoke (don't worry; it's harmless), I had a blast learning how to build circuits and listening to Mr. George play surf music on his guitar when we weren't busy constructing circuits. At one point our Magnet coordinator even came in to watch us soldering. :)

Apparently she knows all of the Magnet kids by name. O_O

I can't WAIT for tomorrow; tomorrow we'll be able to finish installing LED lights into our circuits and test the circuits we created!

Not only did I enjoy myself today at Electronics, but the activities we did in Electronics reminded me of my dad's love of soldering and constructing circuits. It also reminds me of when he first taught me how to solder parts of circuits onto circuit boards last Summer. I'm even wearing the same shirt that I wore that day! LOL! Here is proof. :P

Then (July 28, 2012):


Now (June 5, 2013):


Yeah, my hair is DEFINITELY longer in the second picture. :P

That's all for now, and have a wonderful Wednesday everyone! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHOA!!! Hold up, slam on the brakes!!! In order to comment on my blog, you must follow some VERY important rules! Here they are.

1. No insulting me or anything on my blog in any way.
2. No racism, hatred, or bullying is allowed.
3. No swearing when commenting on my blog please.
4. Inappropriate comments of any type will NOT be tolerated!
5. Most important rule of all: NEVER I MEAN NEVER INSULT MY FRIENDS!!!!!!

Do ANY of the above and consequences WILL occur. Understood?

These rules are enforced so this blog will continue to be a fun site for everyone to explore. I hope you have fun cruising and commenting on this blog! :D

Yours truly,
Abigail (aka wolfstar62867)